The Central Land Council’s Warlu (fire) Committee Meeting 2019 was held in Murnkurru-Murnkurru Gurindji Dagaragu Rangers and attended by the Muru-Warrinyi Ankuul Tennant Creek Rangers, Walpiri Rangers from Yuendemu, Willowra and Nyrripi, North Tanami Lajamanu Rangers and Dagaragu Rangers. Senior men and women traditional owners also attended the meeting over the three days.
Paddy Doolak, a senior Gurindji man from Dagaragu, was honoured for his involvement in Warlu meetings each year since it began 10 years ago.
Over the course of the meeting, rangers discussed:
- successful prescribed burning within the Tanami Desert
- the prolonged dry weather, resulting in very low fuel loads in many areas, could not carry prescribed fire under cool winter conditions
- burns in October had burned too hot and were a good reminder of the need to burn in the cooler months of the year
- planning for the next season
- training in aircraft safety and aerial incendiary training
Tim Leane, our fire management officer, presented the 10 Deserts Project fire strategy, and provided information training and fire management trips supported by the project so far.