We are looking to appoint a smart, innovative and experienced person to the role of program leader role in the 10 Deserts Project (10DP) – a major Indigenous land management and capacity building collaboration across Australia’s deserts (further information can be found at www.10deserts.org). The project is currently being managed by Desert Support Services (DSS).
DSS is committed to assisting Traditional Owners (TO) and their representative bodies to use their traditional lands to fulfil their social, cultural and economic aspirations to achieve a sustainable and independent future.
The 10DP collaboration, which includes Indigenous organisations, and international and regional conservation organisations, is delivering a range of activities to enhance environmental resilience, improve Indigenous livelihoods and develop a strong Indigenous representative body for Indigenous Rangers and their organisations across the deserts. The project started in 2018 and will run through until December 2022.
This position is a full-time position (or possibly 4 days a week) for 24 months, with the possibility of extension for 6-12 months. The position will ideally commence in November – December 2020, though there is some flexibility around this.
In essence, this position is about ensuring the 10DP ‘story’ is coherent, accurate, powerful, promoted and sustainable.
Specifically, the position involves taking forward several aspects of the project, including:
- support the planned transition of the project from DSS to the Indigenous Desert Alliance (IDA) according to plans, including liaising with current and potential supporters and stakeholders to ensure sustainability of project activities
- work closely with the project steering committee, key TO representatives and project partners to ensure implementation of activities, high buy in, strong TO engagement and good feedback is maintained
- working closely with project staff and the general manager to build team synergy, maintain and grow project momentum and develop future opportunities for project activities
- management of various aspects of the monitoring and evaluation and communications plans for the remainder of the project, including working closely with partners to ensure reports and narratives are complete, vital and timely
- supporting the general manager where needed.
The position will be part of a small project management team headed up by the general manager (GM) 10DP; and reports directly to the GM.
If you have at least eight (8) years’ experience and relevant qualifications for the role (as set out in the duty statement) and are keen to work with a progressive not-for-profit organisation in Indigenous affairs, then this position could be for you.
The successful candidate will be based in our West Perth office and should be available to travel to remote desert communities or interstate as required.
The position will be subject to a successful probation period after three (3) months.
- Salary packaging of approximately $15,900 per annum plus an additional $2,650 per annum for meals and accommodation is available.
- Generous employment conditions are provided as per Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (Level 6).
For further information on this position, contact Phil Sparrow on 0415 4242 48, or in relation to the application process the DSS HR office on 08 9425 2099.
How to Apply:
To apply for the position simply visit the Desert Support Services employment page at www.desertsupportservices.com to:
- view the duty statement and selection criteria
- complete a response addressing each of the selection criteria provided as a part of your covering letter*
- submit your resume and cover letter in PDF format
- follow the prompts to complete the application.
Applications close Friday 30 October 2020 at 5.00pm (AWST).
Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
* Applications will only be accepted when submitted through the Desert Support Services website and when the selection criteria have been separately and clearly addressed.